June 4, 2009

Heavy rain















Not a good working day. In Groningen, The Netherlands we know rain but not that bad as here. Already 24 hours of rain and no stopping at all. Everybody tried to do some work but nobody did a good job today I think. Bonggies artwork was overtaken by high water, Stuarts too and mine… The site became water, the harvesting of reed was not really possible because of the water rise and we, ‘Donovan’ the volunteer and I were soaked all day, especially in the harvest field. In one night 12 centimeters water was fallen! We continued and found a way to use less reed in the sculpture. We started to cut large bamboo in small rings to be used as a skeleton together wit split bamboo. Despite the rain we still had a good day. To me its funny: nature artist always fighting the elements to do their nature-art thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My work is site-specific. Natural surroundings together with the social and historical context inspire me. With my sculptures I add an extra dimension to the location. I use for my installations topical natural material often combined with cultural material. Materials like willow, oak, plants and trees, and man-made material like concrete, metal and shrink film. Recurring themes in my work are tension, movement, water and light. The intervention of people and natural elements like wind or growth can be a welcome addition to my work. I like it when the public mixes with my work and experiences my installation together with its surroundings. In the end, I want my installations to fit in the site where they are built showing an extra dimension and giving a suprise to the beholder.