June 12, 2009

Open













With a group of old lady bellydancers and six speeches in Chinees the Guandu Sculpture Festival is opened for public. Sem the chief marketing was so nervous he didn't introduced us properly. Can happen. Afterwards press and bobo's walked the route. Every artist could say something about theit work and that was it. I told about my inspiration, my way of working and the nature is taking the site over again, birds are already sitting on top of the poles... The reactions are good.  Aso the weather was good and  the crowed ok. Afterwards lunch and the black hole. Its strange to work that hard and then suddenly the work is done. A happy and sad moment at the same time. Rest of the day relaxing, took some pictures and went to an opening at the school of art up the hill. Remains two days of public activities and packing and planning for a trip in Taiwan. Wonder how that goes with the language...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Merijn, I am Sherry who worked with you on Jun8 and 9. It's good to see the work down. Congratulation! Hope you have a wonderful trip in Taiwan. If you have any questions about your trip in Taiwan, feel free to contact with me.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My work is site-specific. Natural surroundings together with the social and historical context inspire me. With my sculptures I add an extra dimension to the location. I use for my installations topical natural material often combined with cultural material. Materials like willow, oak, plants and trees, and man-made material like concrete, metal and shrink film. Recurring themes in my work are tension, movement, water and light. The intervention of people and natural elements like wind or growth can be a welcome addition to my work. I like it when the public mixes with my work and experiences my installation together with its surroundings. In the end, I want my installations to fit in the site where they are built showing an extra dimension and giving a suprise to the beholder.